Sunday 10 April 2016

Living my dreams...Meeting with Pt Jasraj.

Sometimes I wonder how and when my fascination and passion germinated which finally made me a Hindustani classical musicaholic. In fact my parents told me that it started at my early age say around 4 years. I was at Delhi for my checkups. We were staying at Santosh Nana’s (my mother’s uncle) place in Delhi. As I heard from my parents...One day we were travelling in a car and some music was being played on the car. I was completely mesmerised by that voice though I didn't even know who was singing. Later I came to know that it was none other than Padma Vibhusan Pt. Jasraj who was singing a famous bhajan "Om Namo Bhagwate Wasudewaye". His sweet and soulful singing had deeply touched me. I was a little boy that time I didn't understand anything but there was something in his voice which had attracted me. Later we returned back from Delhi to our place. Seeing my interest in music my parents decided to make me learn Hindustani Classical Vocal. And this is how I finally started my journey of my passion, "HINDUSTANI CLASSICAL VOCAL".
pastedGraphic.png
With Guru Jee baba at Sankatmochan Mandir Varanasi

                                         Pt Jasraj's singing had deeply touched me. I regularly used to listen his cassettes and CDs. I find myself fortunate enough to not only enjoy his divine singing live but also have some personal interactions with him. It was 2004, I was around 6 years old. He was at Banaras (Varanasi) for the Hanuman Jayanti Music Festival at the SankatMochan Mandir. My baba ( father's maternal uncle) Prof Balanand Sinha who is a near and dear disciple of Pandit Jasraj took me for a meeting with his guru jee. I still remember every moment. I was amazed to see how simple and loving Pandit Jee was.He fed me with biscuits with his hands.He made me sit beside him and kept asking something or the other from me though I was shy enough not to reply much.Just before Pandit Jee baba (Prof Balanand Sinha) got the opportunity to perform on the stage and through his singing he prepared a perfect atmosphere for his guru jee to come.  Guru jee baba's (Pt Jasraj) concert was at around 2 at night. I was eagerly waiting for seeing him singing live. It was finally 2 at night and he started singing. I was sitting in the front row and was watching him singing on the big stage in front me.The time was around 2 as I mentioned previously, the time when people prefer sleeping over anything else but I preferred listening him. As my parents say that I kept listing to him till morning without even blinking my eyes. Even Guru Jee Baba was amazed seeing his little fan listening to him for the whole night. 
pastedGraphic_1.png
With Pandma Vibhusan Pt Jasraj and Padma Shree Gajendra Narayan Singh
at Maurya Hotel Patna
                   
                                         The second time I met was at the Maurya Hotel Patna in the year 2010. This time also my sincere courtesy to my Father's Maternal uncle Prof Balanand Sinha. Guru Jee baba was at Patna for his concert organized by the ART OF LIVING people. I met him at the hotel in the morning since his concert was at the evening. This time I was fortunate enough to sing something in front of him. I sang a bandish in Raag Jaunpuri. After I finished he patted my back and said I had sung pretty well.  I attended his concert in evening and then returned to my place at Purnea.

                              Pt Jasraj’s divine singing and his melodious voice connects the audience to the Almighty whether it is his “Mero Allah Meheraban” or its “Adi Dev Namostovyam” or his chanting of “OM”.
         

                                 Both opportunities were like living the dreams. When he sings people are completely mesmerised and find themselves connected to the almighty. Someone has correctly said -." His charming persona, the Swaramandala in his lap, his exceptionally large ensemble often consisting of three or four tanpura-s and two melodic accompaniments, his body language full of dramatic gestures – all contribute to building a majestic aura that enhances the appeal of his music."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music Has No Boundaries...

One thing which can’t be stopped from travelling to a different country without a visa or passport is- Art and Music. I will talk about ...